This is it.
The biggest secret in gold-making. The thing that everybody has promised, often locked behind a $29.95 payment and a massive page of questionable words from people that may not even exist. The Ultimate Secret.
I’m going to provide it to you for free.
That secret is simply this: There are no secrets. There are multiple methods to making gold, some requiring more work than others. There are different tools — add-ons, spreadsheets, websites — and different ways of combining and packaging them. There are the simple and slow ways, the fast and hard ways, the in-between ways. One thing holds true:
There is no “Ultimate Gold Secret” that will net you millions of gold in a short amount of time.
Anybody that tells you otherwise is ripping you off. Maybe they have a neat story to tell, or they have screenshots of their fortune. Hey, that fortune’s probably real, but that takes time and wrangling. This isn’t to trash people that charge real money for some of their information — I used to work for one and I love and respect her because she’s awesome — but, see, that’s the thing. They charge for some of their information. That’s it.
There are two types of people in the gold blogging world: those who talk and those who teach. The talkers tell you that there are secrets and all you have to do is pay them to find out what they are. They might give you a taste of what they’re offering, but it’s never enough to really figure out a tried-and-true gold-making method. That, or they give you information that’s not exactly current, or they simply wave their gold in your face and taunt you with it.
The teachers show you what they do, how they do it, and are open. They are honest. They may have something to sell — and that’s okay. What they’re selling is information that would take you or I a lot of time to gather ourselves. Sometimes, they’re selling information that they’ve studied to obtain and that actual businesses would pay a salary to use. They’re not claiming secrets that don’t exist, they’re providing tools, and most of them are free. Those paid tools? They’re just gravy, but they’re gravy that helps the teacher keep their website going or pay their subscription fees so they can continue to provide you with that information.
The Gold Secret to end all Gold Secrets is that there isn’t one.
There are many good gold blogs out there. There are lots of people that are willing and able to teach you what to look for, and that do so with lovely articles — you can find a good chunk of them on The Undermine Journal, even. Here’s how to separate the good stuff from the trash:
- if it makes claims that are too good to be true, it’s trash.
- if its only goal is to sell you something without providing you with anything useful, it’s trash
- if it treats you, the reader, like trash for not having a lot of gold or not knowing how to make it, it’s trash
- if it claims that there’s a massive secret that only it can tell you, it’s trash
The gold blogging community is 90% amazing. It’s supportive, with tons of people that are happy to help and that love to hear about your successes and what you’ve learned from your failures. The other 10% just exist to rip you off and suck you into something that doesn’t exist.
You can’t make massive amounts of gold in thirty seconds or less unless you get lucky.
Gold-making requires some work, whether it’s the initial set-up of filters in your chosen auction add-on, your crafting/destroying, or your farming.
There is no zero-work way of making gold quickly.
You can set-and-forget — once the initial set-up is complete. Anybody can make gold! Absolutely anybody. The secret? It’s being willing to put in a little bit of time, even if it’s only five minutes per day.
Here are some tools to get started.
The Undermine Journal — Your one-stop shop for everything gold. There are blogs and it’s a huge auction database that can help you figure out what to sell and what to pass on.
WoWuction.com — Another auctioning tool, this website can take a look at what’s listed and selling on your server and help you decide what profession(s) to invest in and what markets to enter.
WoWProspector — If you’re into Jewelcrafting, this will help you figure out whether or not that stack of ore is worth prospecting for the cash or not.
ProspectORE — Similar to WoWProspector, but it’s an add-on. I use this and it is absolutely fantastic.
TradeSkillMaster — This is the only auctioning add-on that I use anymore. It can be set up for crafting, too, and is an absolute must for anybody that plans on using their professions to make gold. It’s worthwhile for those that are flipping because of the variety of filters available. TSM alone saves so much time it simply isn’t funny. When their site is down, you can get TSM at Curse.com as well, but I still suggest browsing the official site for its information.
What are your favourite blogs and tools for making gold?